SPIE Student Chapter at Montana State University
SPIE is a not-for-profit international professional society for optics and photonics technology, founded in 1955. It organizes technical conferences, trade exhibitions, and continuing education programs for researchers and developers in the light-based fields of physics, including, but not limited to: optics, photonics, and related sciences and engineering.
Meetings & Events
Our chapter holds meetings monthly. Typically, we have a colloquium followed by a meeting to discuss chapter business or events. Speakers may include local business representatives from area optics and photonics companies, student talks on research or topics of interest, and more. Refreshments are always served! This semester we will be doing pizza.
In addition to our monthly meetings, we also host events each month. Typical events may include invited guest speakers, participating in area science outreach (such as the Science Olympiad for middle schoolers), and local company tours. In addition, we also are listing OpTec Colloquiums, which may interest members who would like to learn more about current optics and photonics research happening around the world. These colloquium speakers are invited by MSU faculty and speak on the research they do. These are catered events, as well.
Fall 2019 Schedule
- Wednesday, September 11th, 2019, 5:10-6:00 PM
- What: Meeting
- Where: 210 Roberts Hall
- Topic: At this meeting we will discuss this semester's upcoming events, including an upcoming guest lecture, company tours, and community science research opportunities. The officers will also demo some of the chapter's outreach setups.
- Thrusday, August 22nd and Friday, August 23rd, 2019, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- What: Catapalooza
- Where: MSU Campus, South of Wilson Hall
- About: Visit the SPIE booth at Catapalooza to learn about the student chapter at MSU. Chapter officers and members will showcase various demos and an email sign up sheet will be available.